In 1983, the Torrance Historical Society began a long-term program of placing bronze plaques on Torrance landmarks that merited recognition. Each plaque is headed by “historic building / landmark” followed by landmark name, historic dates and Torrance Historical Society. To date, we have placed thirteen plaques on landmarks throughout Torrance.
- Torrance Public Library, 1345 Post Avenue, 1936-1978
- Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Co., 1266 Sartori Avenue , 1928-1953
- U.S. Post Office, 1433 Marcelina Avenue, 1936
- Torrance City Hall, 1511 Cravens Avenue, 1936-1956
- Jared Sidney Torrance Memorial Hospital*, 1425 Engracia Avenue , 1924-1971
Torrance Woman's Club, 1422 Engracia Avenue, Est. 1921-Built 1925
- Torrance High School, 2000 Carson. First property in Torrance to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places., 1983
- Fern Avenue School , 1314 Fern Avenue , Est. 1929-Built 1932. Third property in Torrance to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1992
- Miramar Park (Torrance Beach) Site of Hollywood Riviera Beach Club, 1931-1958. Historic Societies of Torrance and Redondo Beach.
- Methodist Episcopal Church, 1551 El Prado, Est. 1922-Built 1923. Place of worship until 1961
- Pacific Electric Railway - El
Prado Bridge, Torrance Boulevard, west of Western Avenue. Designed by Irving Gill, architect in 1913. Second property in Torrance to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1989. (Plaque placed by the City of Torrance. We list this as number 12 even though the City placed this plaque)
- Pacific Electric Railway Station: The Depot, Built 1912, designed by Irving Gill, architect. This Depot was part of “The World's Greatest Interurban,” the Pacific Electric Railway System. Pacific Electric tracks crisscrossed the southland carrying passengers and freight on the famous red cars for over three decades. The Pacific electric main repair shops were located nearby. Depot function ceased in 1981 under the ownership of Southern Pacific Transportation Company.
- The Rocketship, Los Arboles “Rocketship” Park, 1960, Restored 1992
Additionally the Torrance Historical Society has placed a bronze bust and plaque of the City founder Jared Sidney Torrance on the lawn at the museum.
*Demolished in 1994. Bas relief that was over the front door was saved from the wrecking ball and is mounted on the wall in a lovely setting.
We encourage you to take time to see these plaques. They have been placed for a variety of reasons: architectural value, role in the community's growth or relationship to famous persons in Torrance history.